Every road trip is different but they always have one thing in common, the question "what do I bring?" Here is my road trip check list of questions and things to take.
1. Check the weather. Not only with this help you with packing what clothes to bring. You may need other essentials like an umbrella.
2. Bring chargers (car chargers prefered). For your phone, computer, camera. Anything that needs a battery. If you don't have a car charger you can always charge in the hotel/motel or if you are a rest stop junkie or sleep on the road Starbucks is always a great place to recharge.
3. Mentioning Starbucks, don't forget your snacks and refreshments. These to me are very important. You don't want to stop and get out of the car every time you get gas. Plus, having them before hand you take what you really want and will enjoy rather than just getting a handful of things that normally aren't as good for you. Also, I personally always like to have a couple bottles of water on top of whatever else I like to drink just in case something happens, like the car breaks down, it's also great for overheating on your engine & if you get dehydrated or end up hiking an awesome mountain you weren't expecting- you have it.
4. Research the location you are going. Now obviously this doesn't always happen. Sometimes we stumble upon things & sometimes we decide on a location last minute. However, the more you can find out the better. Especially if you like to explore landmarks and like to get a great photo. Some places are better for sunrise and others better for sunset. Then again some are great all times of the day.
5. A great playlist. Making a playlist on your phone or making a cd is always a great idea. I don't know about you but the 4th time listening to the same song on the radio makes me rather not listen at all. Not only that sometimes you can only listen to static & no one has got time for that so here are my top ten favorite songs from my summer road trips.
- Love Myself, Hailee Steinfeld
- Living Dead Girl, Rob Zombie
- Tied Up (feat. DeJ Loaf), Casey Veggies
- Trampoline, Kalin and Myles
- Love Me Like You Mean It, Kelsey Ballerini
- Desert Rose, Sting
- Locked Away (feat. Adam Levine), R. City
- Yoga, Janelle Monae & Jidenna
- See You Again (feat. Charlie Puth), Wiz Khalifa
- Watch Me (Whip/Nae Nae), Silento
6. Make sure you pay attention to your gas. Food for thought: other places do not have gas on every corner and depending if you are traveling holidays, some gas stations close. Last thing you want is to end up on the side of the road at midnight because you didn't fill up, trust me.
7. When I pack for a weekend or even a day trip I like to bring (or wear) layers. It's always a good idea to have a couple tanks on or have another shirt in your bag just in case you get dirty, end up sleeping on the road and your are smelly- especially to those guys out there, or you like to take pictures & are a fashionista you don't want people noticing you wore the same thing three days/two nights in a row (Do I hear a chuckle?). No matter what the reason, a change of clothes are always a good idea but layers are better because the weather is always changing and having options may end up saving you from buying something oversized and uncomfortable from a convenient store.
8. Bring Aspirin. Now, this one is for all my people who get car sick easy or just tend to get headaches or hate confined spaces. Obviously, you still want to adventure too and have a good time with friends- it's never fun to miss out. It's also a good idea to just have around, you never know when it will come in handy.
9. Money! Pretty obvious right?! Well maybe not. Depending where your trip takes you think about having some cash, some cards, and also coins... You may have metered parking, stumble upon a little restaurant in the corner of nowhere that only takes cash, or you may find a last minute hotel for the night that you need to book online to get the best deal.
10. I saved the best for last. A road trip companion. This is the person(s) who helps you drive, sings with you super loud with the windows down, makes you laugh - but also knows when it's a good time to be serious, takes goofy pictures with you, and is down to stop anywhere just because you want to (as long as you have time).
Hope you enjoyed my top 10 road trip necessities. Thank you all for reading, I'll be seeing you... Vroom Vroom!